Domestic Violence Lawyers Melbourne
A Family Violence Intervention Order (FVIO) is a court order designed to protect a person, their children and their property from someone who is using violence, threatening them or making them feel unsafe. This is made in the Magistrates’ Court.
If you are in danger, please contact the police immediately by calling 000
What is Family Violence?
Family violence is harmful behaviour that is used to control, threaten, force or dominate a family member through fear.
- physical acts, such as hitting or pushing a person
- sexual abuse, such as pressuring a person to behave sexually in ways they are not comfortable with
- emotional or psychological abuse, such as controlling who a person can see or where they can go, or calling them names
- financial abuse, such as controlling how a person uses money.
If a child hears, sees or is around family violence in any way, they are also covered by the law. This includes if a child:
- helps an abused family member
- sees damaged property in the family home
- is at a family violence incident when the police arrive.
The police must respond to all reports of family violence. They can act even if a person does not want them to because they must put the safety of a person and their children first.
Did you know?
A family violence Intervention order (FVIO) may be known as a domestic violence order (DVO), intervention order, protection order, family violence order (FVO) or a violence restraining order (VRO) in other states and territories.
Examples of Family Violence
- property damage
- financial abuse
- emotional, social or psychological
- coercing, controlling or dominating
The definition of “family” in relation to family violence includes:
- intimate personal relationship including married, de facto or domestic partners
- parents and children, including children of an intimate partner
- relatives by birth, marriage or adoption
- people you treat as a family member including carer or guardian
What is a family violence intervention order?
A family violence intervention order is a court order to protect a person, their children and their property from a family member, partner or ex-partner. It is a legal document that requires the person using family violence to stop doing so.
Deanna has extensive experience in navigating family violence cases include Intervention Orders.
You can book by calling 03 8393 6569 or email Deanna at email@example.com